Saturday, October 24, 2009

Was that a compliment or an insult???

When speaking to a new mom about her appearance, it can be kind of tricky. You never know how emotionally stable she is (hormones all crazy & stuff). Do you say she looks "great", "thin", or "healthy" or "you don't look like you just had a baby", (Hey! Thanks a lot! I went through all that for 9 months -- don't take away my credit!) or "you can't even see the tummy" (It doesn't matter, I know it's there.)

But for the first time last week I got this comment: "Um, Aunt Jackie, you are so, like, FLAT".

--Paige Jaclyn Thompson


To which, I of course responded, "WHICH PART????" Crossing my fingers that she says "your tummy" and not...well... you know..

"Like, this part.." (As she caresses my arm).

I sigh in relief.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

very much a compliment!!!!! kids are so funny

Newlyweds said...

flat and pamela are 2 words that don't go together !!