Monday, January 26, 2009

So I married a trashpicker



I used to get annoyed when we would be driving
along, and Steve would have to pull over to
check out what someone had thrown out on the
sidewalk, no matter what condition it was in.

Once, we were driving around in Lancaster, and
there was a huge empty dirt lot (hard to imagine,
huh?), and he had to make a fast u-turn because
he spotted a bundle of old clothes and boots.
Really, he got out of the car and inspected the
boots. I put my foot down and said, "NO
SHOES!!!".

But, now I am grateful that he is a trashpicker,
because we wouldn't have our dishwasher or this
really nice tv stand if he didn't have that
quality. We did have our tv sitting on a horrible
little black shelf, but he found this one on the
sidewalk, all torn apart and he just put it back
together! I seriously love it!


I can be a trashpicker too. These are the curtains
I made from the material we used as table
runners for my wedding. I love the way they
turned out, but even more, I love that I can
actually sew now! My mom's a great teacher.

And yes, I agree, the curtain rod is way too small,
but it was the only one I half way liked at Bed,
Bath and Beyond, and by the time we put them
in (what a pain!!!), we felt kind of stuck with them!
I should have just gone to Walmart!!!

11 comments:

Newlyweds said...

haha, thats nice ! its funny what people throw away sometimes, and at least Steve is brave ... BTW, I think I have the same black bookcase as you, is it from Target ?

gk risser said...

So did I. But so did she. I blame both of our parents.

Jon and Mercedes said...

I love it....I have to admit Jon and I got our couch by trashpicking...except I was too embarassed to pick it up during the day, so I made us wait until late at night to go get it. We still have it and even though we have really quite worn it out, I can't give it up b/c it was free!

Danielle said...

Wow, nice find... I think I need to "shop" with Steve.

Los Dayton said...

Jackie your curtains turned out really super nice! I attempted to make curtains once and it was a lot harder than it looks. BTW - You should try IKEA for curtain rods.(much better prices that BB&B)

Ashley said...

Ok it is scary how much steve and scott are alike. Scott got a tv, rocking chair for the boys room, end table, picture frames all off the streets. Steve and scott should go into a business together.

gk risser said...

Trashpicking is not such in New York, it's just part of the culture to put things you don't have room for out on the street for anyone to take. We have some great stuff from the streets of Brooklyn, including a kitchen table that was the perfect size for our 8'x4' dining room (which we considered a miracle) and a dresser that we refurbished (which visitors ask where we bought).

Steve and Scott should come out here and start a business, but competition is fierce; I see cargo vans gleaning the good stuff in the middle of the night every trash day. I think they sell it on ebay.

Susanna said...

That dresser that GK refurbished almost ended our marriage I might add. I saw it on the street and saw it's potential and GK groaned the whole time he loaded it into the house (after he finally gave in to my insistence). Now it's one of our favorite things.

I saw the potential but GK had a vision. He did an incredible job. Crate and Barrel would sell it for at least $800.

Kris, Andrea, Lacey, Mia, and Kannon said...

The tv stand is great! what a find! i go through the trash all the time at our storage, I've found lots of great stuff there, in fact do you need a head board? there was one there today!

Newlyweds said...

Jackie, where are you?@!?

BENVANA said...

I love it! My poor husband is the one that's embarrased, but hey, i think of myself as frugal and he has to admit to some great finds. however, I do most of my finding on craigslist's free stuff so i know exactly where to go if i think it's worth it. i've probably missed some opportunities by not just picking from the road...